Our Partner University
The Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH; Greek: Δημοκρίτειο Πανεπιστήμιο Θράκης), established in July 1973, is based in Komotini, Greece and has campuses in the Thracian cities of Xanthi, Komotini, Alexandroupoli, and Orestiada.
The university accepted its first students in the academic year 1974–1975. As of now DUTH is comprised of eight schools — School of Humanities, Engineering School, Law School, School of Agricultural Sciences, School of Education Sciences, School of Economic and Social Sciences, School of Health Sciences and Physical Education and Sport Sciences. The total number of students approaches 30,000 (2014).
As a university it is state-owned and fully self-administered. It is thus supervised and subsidized by the Greek State and the Minister for National Education and Religious Affairs.
Name and emblem
The emblem of the Democritus University of Thrace represents the influential Ancient Greek pre-Socratic philosopher Democritus. He was born in Abdera, Thrace and is primarily remembered today for his formulation of the atomic theory of matter.
Schools and departments
School of Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Environmental Engineering
- Department of Architectural Engineering
- Department of Production Management Engineering
- Department of Law
School of Physical Education and Sport Sciences
- Department of Physical Education and Sport Science
School of Humanities
- Department of History and Ethnology
- Department of Greek Literature
- Department of Languages, Literature and Culture of the Black Sea Countries
School of Economic, Political and Social Sciences
- Department of Social Administration and Political Science
- Department of Economics
School of Health Sciences
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
School of Education Sciences
- Department of Primary Level Education
- Department of Education Sciences in Early Childhood
School of Agricultural Sciences and Forestry
- Department of Agricultural Development
- Department of Forestry and Management of the Environment and Natural Resources
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities is being conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAAA).